No matter the type of vacation anyone is looking for, the Ometepe Island in Nicaragua is able to step-up and offer various kinds of experiences. This happens to be an awesome place that can address diverse needs from all age groups, coming from all walks of while.
Rich in fun, adventure, beautiful nature reserves, quaint butterfly sanctuaries, lush rainforests, different wildlife populations, pristine beaches, crystal clear freshwater ponds, cool cascading waterfalls, fascinating archaeological sites, and warm hospitality, visitors will surely enjoy this island paradise.
Ometepe happens to be the largest inland lake in Nicaragua. This is a must-see destination known for its dramatic profile that is unlike any other. The island is nestled in between two majestic volcanoes, which is the reason for its myriad of outdoor activities and rich panoramic vistas.
Check out: Best Hostels in San Juan del Sur
Ometepe is an hourglass in form, and to its north lies the perfectly cone-shaped active volcano called Volcán Concepción. The extinct, inactive, and sometimes known as ‘prehistoric’ Volcán Maderas is located in the opposite part of the island.
When compared to the lava stained Concepción, a lush cloud forest with a lagoon in its center makes up the landscape of Maderas. With all these amazing features, Ometepe is indeed a place to see at least once in a person’s life.
For those traveling on a budget, they can fret not, because this little island paradise is an ideal venue for backpackers looking for an adventure without breaking that bank.
Read on below to find out about the best hostels in Ometepe that can easily give anyone a bang for their buck:
- Free access to an amazing swimming pool.
- Fast and free fiber-optic internet in all of the rooms and common areas.
- Proximity to the port.
- Spacious grounds ideal for chillaxing and hanging around.
- They have an honor bar system where guests are free to help themselves to drinks and snacks, any time of day or night.
- Full dinner is served until 8 in the evening.
- They have an extensive collection of board games and a book exchange.
The only hostel in Ometepe with a swimming pool! Yay!
They are a 15-minute walk from the ferry and main bus stop, and less than 5 minutes away from the only ATMs on the island, numerous restaurants, and grocery stores.
Being located on the edge of town gives their guests access to the conveniences of town while offering peace and quiet of the countryside. The hostel is perfectly located for hiking Concepcion or catching the sunset at Punta Jesus Maria. They are also a great launch point to see other island sites.
They offer different deluxe private rooms with their own bathrooms. Private rooms come with a free breakfast. They also have spacious dorms well with large backpack-sized lockers (locks not provided). Each bed has a reading light and outlet for charging. Each guest is provided with a towel on check-in.
Reservations can be made via hostelworld or directly via their website. Cancellations must be made 48 hours before arrival. Check-in is at 14:00 to 21:00 only, while check out is from 8:00 to 11:00. Reception is only open from 8am to 9pm. Those who do walk-ins must pay in cash only. They are child-friendly and pet-friendly, too.
The Landing Hostel
Offering understated elegance and backpacker affordability, this friendly place can easily serve as people’s home away from home. The well-trained staff is ready to always offer service with a smile.
They offer private rooms with an en suite bathroom for those travelers who need exclusivity and privacy. On top of that, they also have more affordable priced clean dorm rooms with shared bathroom facilities for those who love meeting other people and sharing stories with them before turning down. Those couples looking for a hideaway can opt to rent the romantic “cabina”.
Check-in is that standard 13:00 and check out is at 11:00. It is vital to note that the Landing Hostel only accepts cash in the site for the payment of any balances incurred. If guests don’t want to fork over cash, paying for all the extras during their online booking and reservation must be done.
Just contact their friendly customer service in advance. However, still, do prepare some for smaller bills for incidentals that cannot be covered online.
Check out some useful products for backpackers:
Hostel Life is Good
- Hostel has one of the best restaurants on the islands (Vegan, vegetarian and meat menu)
- The friendly staff is multi-lingual being able to speak in English, Spanish, and French.
- They offer fast and free wifi because they understand that it is vital for their guests to stay connected for their work and loved ones.
- If needed, their friendly staff will help you get acquainted with the island.
- They have bar where you can get an iced cold beer or a cocktail after a packed day of seeing sights and touring various hot spots.
- They have a lush garden inviting guests to relax or read a book.
- There is a breezy sitting room in the third floor for guests to enjoy the lake and volcano views.
As the name of this hostel suggests, this awesome place is all about living a good and full life. They are a fifteen-minute walk from the port or a five-minute tuk-tuk ride. They even offer to pay for the first ride of guests who have a reservation with them. They offer both dorms and private rooms. The former six or four-room dormitory have shared communal bathrooms, while all the later have their own en suite bathroom.
Their check-in is from 12:00 to 23:00, while check out is before 11:00. Reservations can be made online, with rates inclusive of taxes. But payment upon arrival must be made in cash. If people intend to cancel, they must do so at least one day ahead of their intended arrival. Reception is available 24 hours. This hotel is family-friendly, kid-friendly, and pet-friendly.
- Breakfast is not included but it is cheaply priced at only three dollars a plate.
- There is fiber optic wifi free for all guests.
- With hammocks and open areas, guests are encouraged to chill out and forget all their cares about the world.
- The kitchen is proud of prepping fresh food made of their local produce, with vegan/ vegetarian options.
- They have a watchtower perfect for stargazing or watching the volcanoes.
- They can easily organize any tour for you.
- There is a bar full or drinks, including the fine tasting Nicaraguan beer.
- Staff is multilingual speaking EN, ES, Hebrew, GE, RU, SK, and CZ.
This hostel is very proud of offering their authentic Nicaraguan environment, with the purpose of making guests understand and love Nicaragua. The hostel is only three minutes away from the town’s main street proper, making everything truly accessible.
They are a local, authentic family run business that takes great pride in serving all the guests who come into their abode. They really want to promote Nicaraguan culture, apart from providing quality service. However, it is critical to note that the minimum number of stays is 14 days.
Most of their rooms have private bathrooms. Mosquito control is a big deal for them, so all the rooms are equipped with mosquito screens. Their check-in is from 12:00 to 18:00 only, while check out is from 7:00 to 11:00.
Reservations can be made online, with rate inclusive of taxes, but payment can be made upon arrival with cash or credit card. Do note that any guests credit card may be pre-requested for approval. Cancellations must be made 24 hours ahead. The reception area is open 24 hours. Kids and pets are welcome in this hostel.
El Pital Chocolate Paradise
- All the guests can have access to their kitchen.
- There are terraces and garden area with hammocks for relaxation.
- They offer volcano tours along with scooters, bikes, and ATV rentals.
- Breakfast is not included but it comes cheap at only three dollars for a full meal.
- Free private parking in premises.
- Free wifi access for all guests.
- There are designated smoking areas for guests who need it.
- They offer babysitting services.
- Pets are welcome for an added cost.
This beach hostel offers spacious comfy dorm rooms with bunk beds that blend with the jungle landscape. Their goal is to create an authentic Nicaraguan atmosphere for their guests. And as the name of the hostel implies, chocolate is a big deal for them.
They have a weekly cacao ceremony. On top of that, they offer cacao tours to their farm where guests can learn about cacao farming and do some chocolate tasting.
The beach is a few steps away and the dorm is located right next to the chocolate factory and yoga temple. Reservations can be made online, with no shows being charged a full day. Check in is at 13:00 and check out is at 11:00. Reception is only open from 7am to 11pm. Those who do walk-ins must pay in cash only.
La Urraca Loca
This charming hostel will make you feel close to the forest and locals. They have a dorm with shared bathrooms and private rooms with en suites. The dorm has screens on doors and windows, while the private rooms have a mosquito net. They are two minutes away from the bus stop in a town called Balgue. All room have a nice terrace view overlooking the two volcanoes.
Reservations can be made via online sites, with no shows being charged a full day. Cancellations must be made 72 hours before arrival. Check-in is at 12:00 to 22:00 only, while check out is from 10:30 to 11:00. They only accept cash payments. Children are also not allowed.
- Comes with purified waters, fans, and lockers.
- Hotel is centrally located in town with nearby shops and restaurants.
- There is free wifi throughout the property.
- There is a tour desk for guests to arrange their excursions.
- Rental comes with free use of a shared kitchen and grill.
There is a wonderful room at the right price for all kinds of travelers to Ometepe. The primary thing is to just go and enjoy a visit to this unique town with a fiery volcano and a water volcano.
The Nicaraguans are warm, friendly, and generally welcoming to visitors. All travelers just have to make sure to be respectful of cultural norms. Come and explore Ometepe solo or enjoy it with a group.