DISCLAIMER: We do not encourage or recommend traveling during Coronavirus times, we just want to show price drops out of interest and economical point of view on the Travel Industry. This article contains information about the Coronavirus and it’s up to date as of March 16th, 2020. Travelers should always refer to the WHO, their embassy in a given destination or follow local’s government website for most up to date information. The information given in this article is my opinion and should NOT be taken as medical & travel advice.
The Covid-19 novel Coronavirus pandemic has wreaked havoc on the travel world, with flight cancellations, travel bans, and mandatory quarantines sending the planet into a frozen mode.
The silver lining, however, in all of the Coronavirus madness has been the deeply discounted travel that many bargain hunters are able to enjoy.
From low-cost flights to practically free cruises, there are many deals for the savvy traveler who wants to travel in spite of the pandemic.
Corona Flight Deal & Price Drops
Many travelers have reported flying on empty or near-empty planes. Mass cancellations are the order of the day, and airlines are scrambling to recoup costs. This means that there are deeply discounted flights to many of the non-affected areas.
The Guardian says: “Coronavirus has emptied flights. It could end up changing flying forever“
Check out some of the coronavirus flight deals examples:
Flight deals from New York City, New York
- Newark Liberty Airport-Atlanta Georgia, April 8, 2020 $22 one way
- Newark Liberty Airport-Los Angeles, California, April 8, 2020 $38 one way
- Newark Liberty Airport-Houston, Texas, April 8-12, 2020 $59 round trip
- Newark Liberty Airport-Miami International Airport, April 8-12, 2020 $67 round trip
- Newark Liberty Airport-Panama City, Panama, April 8-12, 2020 $189 round trip
- Newark Liberty Airport-Athens, Greece, May 11-20, 2020 $277 round trip
Flight deals from Los Angeles, California
- Los Angeles International Airport-Dallas, TX March 28-April 6, 2020 $43 round trip
- Los Angeles International Airport-New York, NY April 25-May 2, 2020 $75 round trip
- Los Angeles International Airport-San Juan, PR March 22-29, 2020 $96 round trip
- Los Angeles International Airport-Honolulu, Hawaii, June 4-10, 2020 $188 round trip
- Los Angeles International Airport-Cancun, Mexico April 18-24, 2020 $215 round trip
Flight deals from Miami, Florida
- Miami International Airport-Atlanta, Georgia, April 9-15, 2020 $53 round trip
- Miami International Airport-Toronto, Ontario April 20-28, 2020 $188 round trip
- Miami International Airport-Barcelona, Spain, May 3-12, 2020 $344 round trip
- Miami International Airport-Bangkok, Thailand, August 13-20, 2020 $533 round trip
- Miami International Airport-Lima, Peru, March 28-April 5, 2020 $248 round trip
Flight deals from Seattle, Washington
- Seattle Washington – Chicago,Ill, May 18-27, 2020 $113 round trip
- Seattle, Washington- Minneapolis, MN, March 22-31, 2020 $106 round trip
- Seattle, Washington- Montreal, ON, May 21-30, 2020 $269 round trip
- Seattle, Washington- Bermuda, April 27-May 6, 2020 $467 round trip
- Seattle, Washington- Cebu City, Philippines May 18-26, 2020 $611 round trip
Cruise Deals & Price Drops
The cruise industry was hit particularly hard, especially following the quarantine of an entire ship, Diamond Princess.
The show, however, must go on, and cruise lines are offering deeply discounted fares for the intrepid traveler.
From deeply discounted fares to on-board credits and other perks, the cruise lines are doing all they can to keep people sailing.
- Holland America Line is offering $100-$200 in onboard credit to passengers who keep their reservations through the end of May 2020.
- Royal Caribbean International has a three-day Bahamas cruise for less than $300 per person, including taxes and fees, sailing out of popular Port Canaveral.
- Staring March 17, 2020 luxury cruise line Scenic is offering fares of up to $1,000 off per person for its European river cruises.
Other great deals include:
- Carnival Inspiration, 4-Night Mexico, April 27, 2020 $108 per person
- Royal Caribbean Navigator of the Seas, 3-night Bahamas, March 20, 2020 $149 per person
- Norwegian Joy, 5-night Pacific Coastal from Los Angeles, April 19, 2020 $244 per person
- MSC Armonia, 7-night Caribbean from Miami, May 3, 2020 $269 per person
- Royal Caribbean Adventure of the Seas, 12-night Caribbean, May 3, 2020 $449 per person
- Royal Caribbean Jewel of the Seas, 10-night Europe, May 3, 2020 from Barcelona $499 per person
- Celebrity Solstice, 10-night Hawaii, May 11, 2020, $599 per person
- Carnival Miracle, 10-night Alaska from San Francisco, May 11, 2020, $729 per person
Corona Hotel Deals & Price Drops
With the drop in flyers, hotels are feeling the pinch as well. Resorts like Disney World and Disneyland have closed altogether and other resorts have announced plans to close temporarily.
Travel bans between the United States and Europe have caused the hotel industry to suffer tremendously, and they are marking down their rates accordingly.
Aspen, Colorado, Aspen Meadows Resort
Tucked away from the big city crowds and nestled on 40 sprawling acres, this ski resort has long been a favorite of alpine lovers. Outfitted with lap pools, hot tubs, and fireplaces, the Aspen Meadows Resort is the ultimate in relaxation. The resort is offering rooms at 40% off, for just $139 per night. Other available packages come with ski glasses, free beer, and snacks for $146 per night.
St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Bequia Beach Hotel
This sun-drenched island is off the beaten path and is a hidden Caribbean gem. Bequia Beach hotel is a boutique luxury resort that is popular with people who want pampering and customization. The resort is offering free inter-island flights to Barbados for guests who are staying for one week or longer. This offer lasts until August 31, 2020.
New York City, Moxy Hotels
Moxy, the star-studded resort chain, is offering deals on its “micro-cation” package for people who are looking for an easy staycation in the Big Apple. If you are planning to stay for a short stay of fewer than four nights, you can enjoy $25 off of your stay. This package is for people who are arriving by car, train or bus, or for New York City residents. The offer is good through December 31, 2020.
Long Beach California, The Varden
Located in downtown Long Beach with easy access to marinas, cruise ship ports and entertainment, this boutique hotel is centrally located and just steps from the waterfront. The property is offering 30% off of its best available rate through the end of May, 2020. It also offers a room upgrade that includes free parking, free daily breakfast, wireless Internet access and nightly wine tasting.
Charleston, South Carolina, Wild Dunes Resort
Spread out over 1,600 acres of private condos, luxury homes, and hotel rooms, Wild Dunes Resort is one of the most popular in Charleston. Prime beachfront property, the resort is feeling the pinch after mass numbers of guests are changing their travel plans or canceling them altogether. The resort is offering 30% off hotel stays and resort credits. These deals are reserved for guests who book immediately for travel between now and the end of August 2020.
Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Puerto Rico Golf & Beach Resort – Rio Grande, Puerto Rico
Wyndham Grand Rio Mar sits on a white sand beach and has nine restaurants, three pools, and other amenities. A short flight from most major cities on the East coast, this is one of the most popular resorts on the island.
The resort is offering all-inclusive packages that include daily food and beverage, complimentary golf, 10% off spa treatments and daily use of tennis courts and equipment. This offer is valid for stays of three nights or longer and lasts through December 31, 2020.
Expedia.com data shows that travelers heading to San Francisco found on average around 25% cheaper rates than this same time last year. New York City, Orlando, Washington, DC, and Phoenix are serving up rates that are on average around 10% to 15% cheaper than last year.
Some of the most expensive tourist-heavy destinations in the United States are offering the deepest discounts for travel during the affected period. Florida, a state that depends heavily on tourism has been especially generous in its discounts. With the closing of the Walt Disney World resort indefinitely, the state is scrambling to get people to come and spend money in the many restaurants, hotels and entertainment venues.
Cities like San Francisco, New York, Washington, D.C. and Phoenix are offering hotel discounts across chains of up to 20% of their normal rack rates. They are also throwing in extra perks and loyalty points.
Melia Hotels is offering discounts of up to 45% on stays at any of its locations around the globe. With more than 350 properties across several countries, this is a huge saving for savvy travelers. They are also relaxing their cancellation penalties.
With a collection of more than 750 hotels in 85 countries, Preferred Hotels & Resorts is one of the biggest collection of resorts and hotels on the globe. They are offering discounts on the European Staycation Series that include a number of hotels in Ireland and Spain. Travelers can enjoy up to 5,000 free bonus points in the brand’s loyalty program plus up to 40% off hotel stays.
Mexico’s resorts are also offering deep discounts. Hotel Esencia in Riviera Maya is offering a third night free during May or June. Guests can also choose from unlimited spa treatments as an alternative to the free third night.
The Crowne Plaza Hotel in Manhattan is offering rooms for $118 a night, more than 30% less than their lowest usual rate. New York, which depends heavily on tourism, is offering the deepest deals. The city, which has canceled all gatherings of 500 people or more, is reeling after the lights on Broadway have effectively gone dark. All Broadway shows are canceled until further notice, but travelers can still find great deals on restaurants and other smaller attractions.
Corona Train and Bus Deals & Price Drops
Many travelers are excited about slashed flight prices but are nervous about dealing with airports and crowds during the apex of this outbreak. Many are turning to rail and bus service instead.
Amtrak recently announced the cancellation of Acela express service between New York City and Washington, D.C., after New York became the epicenter of the virus in the United States. Nevertheless, there are still great deals to be had on this nationwide rail carrier.
Amtrak is offering discounts of 25% off Amtrak Cascades, a route that serves the Pacific Northwest. They are also offering 20% off on select cross-country routes as many travelers are leery of air travel at this time.
20% off fares on the scenic California Zephyr train which travels from Chicago, Illinois to Emeryville (San Francisco) California. The auto train from Lorton, Virginia(Washington, D.C.) to Sanford (Orlando) Florida is also on the list of trains offering huge discounts.
As of right now, there are no reported deals on Greyhound or Megabus service, but newbie Flixbus is offering routes from San Diego to Los Angeles for as little as $4.99 each way. Other great rates include Los Angeles to Las Vegas for $14.99 each way and Phoenix to Las Vegas for $19.99 each way.
Covid-19 has thrown the travel industry into a tailspin. Millions of people across the world are canceling trips, changing destinations or modifying travel plans. Their loss is your gain with dirt cheap flights, discounted hotel stays and reduced prices on dining, entertainment, and attractions. With flexible cancellation policies, low deposits and resort perks, there has never been a better time to take advantage of the best travel deals out there.