Traveling itself brings & requires a lot of motivation and inspiration. In order to spread good TRAVEL SPIRIT, we started collecting, creating, and sharing our own inspiring travel quotes and short travel quotes by famous travelers.
1. “I always wonder why birds stay in the same place when they can fly anywhere on earth. Then I ask myself the same question”- travel quote by Huran Yahya
This is our favorite travel quote which is one of the most popular around the internet and among travelers/backpackers.
Huran Yahya and Adnan Hoca are two of the names used by Adnan Oktar, a Turkish cult leader and televangelist. Born February 2, 1956, he is the Honorary President of the “Science Research Foundation” and the “National Values Preservation Foundation.”
2. ”Travel far enough to meet yourself ” – David Mitchell
David Mitchell is known primarily for his third novel, “Cloud Atlas,” published in 2004, this British author was named by Time in 2007 as one of the world’s 100 most influential people. That fantastical fiction book, which was made into a film in 2012, is six stories that are interconnected and go from the nineteenth century South Pacific to Hawaii in the future that is post-apocalyptic.
3. “Jobs fill your pockets, adventures fill your soul.” – Jaime Lyn Beatty
Jaime Lyn Beatty graduated from LaGuardia High School for Performing Arts in New York City. She then went on to earn a Bachelor of Arts in Fine Arts from the University of Michigan, where she helped found Team StarKid. She currently lives in Los Angeles, but spends a lot of time on the road touring for her work on the stage.
4. “To travel is to live.” – Hans Christian Andersen
[download id=”3″] [download id=”4″]
Hans Christian Andersen doesn’t need to be introduced! But worth mentioning is that he lived in 1805-1875 and was one of the first “travel bloggers”. His short travel quotes and caption inspire today’s blogger all over social media.
Along with many famous books inspired by his travels, he wrote various travel guides about Italy, Germany, Spain, and Switzerland.
5. “An Investment in Travel is An Investment into Yourself”- Matthew Karsten
Matthew Karsten quit his unfulfilling day job and decided to go backpacking and travel around the world. He did not plan where it would take him. Known as the Expert Vagabond, he is a blogger of adventure travel as well as a digital nomad and a photographer. He has been a world explorer for more than 10 years.
6. “A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step” – Lao Tzu
[download id=”36″] [download id=”37″]
Lao Tzu was an ancient writer and philosopher from China. Lived around 6th century BC. He was one of the founders of traditional Chinese religions.
Lao Tzu is an inspiration for many travelers and you can find his travel quotes all around the wall in hostels, hotels, bars, city walls and so on.
7. “Life begins at the end of your comfort zone”- Neale Donal Walsh
[download id=”32″] [download id=”33″]
Neale Donald Walsch is a famous American author, speaker, screenwriter and also an actor. He is a very inspiring person that created hundreds of popular quotes. One of his best for work that he is known for is the movie “Conversations with God”.
8. “The World is a Book And Those Who Do Not Travel Read Only One Page” – Most used travel caption on social media.
St. Augustine (Augustin of Hippo), author of this TRAVEL QUOTE wasn’t a Saint for no reason.
He was bishop, theologian, philosopher and doctor and one of the most influential people in Western philosophy and church. He lived between 354 – 430 AD.
9. “Remember that happiness is a way of travel, not a destination.” – Ray Goodman
As a world-class violinist and conductor, Ray Goodman has traveled all around the world to perform. He began working at a young age, gaining international fame for his skills at the age of 12. Throughout his career Goodman has made more than 120 recordings and held several impressive positions, including that of Music Director of the European Union Baroque Orchestra.
10. “Travel is The Only Thing You Buy Thay Makes You Richer” – Travel Quote by Unknown Author
[download id=”38″] [download id=”39″]
Popular travel quote that we can’t find credits for. If you know who is the author of this quote, pleaser let us know in the comment.
11. “We wander for distraction, but we travel for fulfilment.” ― Hilaire Belloc
French writer, speaker, author of many inspiring quotes, traveler, and politician Hilaire Belloc originally undertook writing as a side career. Belloc once walked hundreds of miles from his home in France down through snowy Alps and on to Rome!
12. “Never let your memories be greater than your dreams.” – Doug Ivester
When he was growing up in Georgia, Melvin Douglas Ivester was certain that he would never be able to travel and experience the world. He was determined to change his life though, and became the first in his family to graduate from college. Today, Ivester is best known for his philanthropy and the years that he spent working as Coca-Cola’s chief executive officer.
13. “It’s not about the destination, It’s about the journey”- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Ralph Waldo Emerson – Born May 25, 1803, he lived and shared his wisdom until age 78 as a philosopher, poet, writer of dozens of published essays, and more than 1,500 lectures. His main interests were mysticism and being a champion of individualism, freedom, and the relationship between the soul and the world.
14. “Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me, as is ever so on the road.” — Jack Kerouac
Jack Kerouac was an author deeply involved with the Beat generation, a group of creatives known for their itinerant and exploratory lifestyles. Kerouac’s most famous work, On The Road, details his series of road trips across deserts, through small towns, and the journeys he took in his mind. He traveled from the American Southwest to New York City, from Mexico to the Northeast and San Francisco. The introspective traveler became known for the poignant ways he described his travels in his poems and novels that would be revered for years to come.
15. “I haven’t been everywhere but it’s on my list.” ― Susan Sontag
Featured in Time, USA Today, and more, David McCollough Jr. is an English teacher who is now known for delivering the viral commencement speech, You Are Not Special. In it, he encourages listeners to do things not for the sake of doing them, but from a love for it.
17. “You don’t have to be rich to travel well.”― Eugene Fodor
Born in Hungary before both world wars, Eugene Fodor had his fair share of traveling. From present-day Slovakia, he moved to Paris to study economics before joining the US Army and settling stateside.
Fodor was assigned covert operations as a wartime spy across Europe. He used his experiences to later write an extensive series of travel guides that dive into the culture and real local spots of each destination.
He is famous for his travel quotes, you can find more here.
18. “Part of the urge to explore is a desire to become lost.” ― Tracy Johnston
Tracy Johnston is a creative to watch. The photographer and writer graduated UC Berkeley and has since been featured in Cosmopolitan, the New York Times Magazine, and even Vogue.
19. “People don’t take trips, trips take people.” ― John Steinbeck
John Steinbeck lived his whole life in southern California; his travels were more forays into various ways of living. At one point, he bought a boat and survived entirely off the land.
Always conscious of the wonders of nature, he became a guide of the local lakes, and wrote on the lives of those who had struggled through natural disasters such as the Dust Bowl. His awe of nature found its way into all his works and solidified his spot as one of the most influential writers in American literature.
20. “Life is Either Daring Adventure or Nothing at All” – Helen Keller
Both blind and deaf, Helen Keller overcame any impediment on her road to becoming an influential author and educator. Permanently changing the state of education and pushing the boundaries of what had been thought possible, Keller sought to permanently change the world.
21. “Wherever you go becomes part of you somehow” – Confucius
Confucius was an influential teacher, philosopher, political figure and author of many travel quotes. Uniquely revered for his focus on ethics, Confucius shaped much of East Asian culture during his time. Although he is considered to be hugely influential today, Confucius was not met without some resistance during his time.
Often discouraged by the lack of public morals, Confucius traveled in order to find himself, shape his discipline, hone his ideas, and find a place in society that truly valued his philosophy.
22. “So much of who we are is where we have been” – William Langewiesche
Influential journalist William Langewiesche has covered major worldwide events over his impressive career. Having written for Vanity Fair as well as The Atlantic Monthly, Langewiesche has covered multiple earth-shattering stories.
23. “Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world.” ― Gustave Flaubert
24. “If you think adventures are dangerous, try routine: It’s Lethal.” – Paulo Coelho
Best known for his introspective works of fiction exploring personal responsibility and philosophy, Paulo Coelho is considered to be one of the most influential writers alive today. Check out Paulo’s advice on how you can become a better traveler.
25. “Traveling Leaves You Speechless. Then it Turns You into Storyteller.” – IBN Battuta
The Dalai Lama is a spiritual and holy figure in Tibet and author of many quotes. Living life as a simple Buddhist monk, he is nonetheless considered to be the spiritual leader of Tibet, an overtly spiritual nation.
28. “Travel is never a matter of money but of courage” – Paolo Coelho
[download id=”34″] [download id=”35″]
Paolo Coelho is author of one the most popular books called the Alchemist. This novel is loved by travelers and it’s very inspiring. You should definitely read it, it will open your horizons! Paolo comes from Brazil and was born in 1974.
29. “One’s destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things.” ― Henry Miller
Henry Miller was an influential American author and creative who worked from coast to coast. He spent time painting and exploring philosophy near Hollywood California, writing in New York City, working in Greece, and studying in Paris.
His extensive travels found their way into every aspect of his life, inspiring his paintings, stream-of-consciousness works, and his writings on philosophy and current events.
30. “Fascism is cured by reading, and racism is cured by traveling” – Miguel de Unamuno – N.1 travel quote!
[download id=”2″] [download id=”5″]
Editor’s note: this is our most favorite quote by Miguel de Unamuno who was a Spanish writer, novelist, philosopher at the University. He lived 1864 – 1936 but his quote will stay and resonate with this world for a very long time.
31. “The World is a Book And Those Who Do Not Travel Read Only One Page” – St. Augustine
St. Augustine (Augustin of Hippo), author of this TRAVEL QUOTE wasn’t Saint for no reason.
He was bishop, theologian, philosopher and a doctor and one of the most influencing people in Western philosophy and church. He lived between 354 – 430 AD.
ALL the pics are FREE to use, please don’t forget to credit travelinglifestyle.net.
32. “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.” ― Mark Twain
The beloved Tom Sawyer author Mark Twain was born Samuel Langhorne Clemens in Missouri. From there, he travelled to the Nevada, Utah and California territories where he explored the mining towns and unsettled land of the West.
Later moving to New York, Mark Twain and his family traveled through Europe, staying in Berlin, Germany and Florence, Italy, before residing in Paris, France. His action-packed literature is filled with his experiences, and his comic pieces were influenced by his brilliant observations from his life abroad.
33. “Summer Should Get a Speeding Ticket” – Funny Travel Quote by tearfreetravel.com
34. “Yesterday I did nothing, and today I’m finishing what I did yesterday.” – Funny Travel Quotes by tearfreetravel.com
Summer is coming up, soo we decided to these two amazing travel quotes by tearfreetravel.com. If you decide to use them, please credit them, not us!
35. “I believe in one religion, I believe in Traveling!”- Inspirational Travel Quote by Traveling Lifestyle
The photo was taken during an amazing boat trip in Halong Bay, Vietnam (June 2015). Definitely one of the places you have to visit while traveling in Vietnam.
36. “Great Memories Happen When You Don’t Know Where You’re Going”- by Traveling Lifestyle
[download id=”9″] [download id=”26″]
One of my favorite photos from a bike trip in Arugam Bay (Sri Lanka). I took a couple of random trips with my friends Maris and Marita from Latvia & Vincent from Germany.
37. “Travel with Less Plans and More Freedom!”
Location: Santa Monica Beach & Gorgeous Sunset, California 2015
You can use any of these pics, or our TL quotes on travel for FREE, just give a simple credit link to travelinfestyle.net.
38. “TO TRAVEL IS TO INSPIRE AND TO BE INSPIRED”
Grand Teton National Park, Wyoming, Summer 2015 – Beautiful shot of mountains and the lake where we camped/hiked during USA road trip.
If you would like to experience traveling in USA, you might be interested in our USA road trip budget article.
40. “Free your mind, surf when the sun goes down!”
The quote is created by Traveling Lifestyle, photo was taken by Damian Gadan in Santa Barbara in California.
41. “WITH THE RIGHT MINDSET AND SPIRIT ONLY SKY IS THE LIMIT”
The photo was taken while traveling in Vietnam! We did motorbike trip from Hue to Hoi an and stopped for this amazing view above the city called Da Nang.
42. “Backpacker … human version of snail @)”
Funny definition of a backpacker! Just random creativity flow… not really a travel quote but maybe inspiration haha 🙂
43. The Most Beautiful Country is the One I’ve Never Been To. – Traveling Lifestyle Caption
Photo taken during the trip in Sri Lanka.
44. Be Grateful for Every Day Spent in a Different Country
Opera House, Sydney 2014 (after the rain 🙂 – Sydney is one of the best cities in the world. It offers everything you can possibly need and the quality of lifestyle is very high. The only disadvantage is cost of living!
45. “Take Only Memories, Leave Only Footprints” – Chief Seattle
Chief Seattle – The city of Seattle was named after this chief of the Duwamish tribe, who was born in 1780 and became a chief due to his inheritance from his maternal uncle because the inheritor came from the mother’s side. One wonders how he had time to travel when his second wife gave him three sons and four daughters.
47. “Drive it like you stole it!” – funny travel quote
This caption is a bit different.. I’ve done lots of trips in Asia and in places like Vietnam, Indonesia, Thailand you really need to drive a scooter/motorbike. You might find it very hard for the first time but you will get use to it very fast and you will love traveling in Asia.
48. “Don’t be afraid to follow your dreams, because that’s your path!”
49. “TRAVEL to understand the cultures and shape your personality.”
Photo was taken in Pinar Del Rio, Cuba while waiting for pizza in front of a small street food corner.
50. “Take your ego for a peaceful trip into the unknown, once in a while!” by Viktor Vincej
Another travel quote inspired by my trip in Sri Lanka. I really enjoyed my (1 month long) trip around the south and east coast. Great place to find peace in your mind and life! The picture was taken on the way to Colombo from Arugam Bay (east).
It’s definitely must thing to do in Sri Lanka, the train passes the most amazing landscapes full of hills, mountains, small villages, and tea plantations. You can open the door, sit on the side of the train and spend a few hours enjoying those amazing views! GET INSPIRED and TRAVEL to SRI LANKA!
51. Travel!! Before you run out of time…
Lago de Atitlan, Guatemala, Oct. 2015 (… because everyone is running out of time…) I recommend visiting this place! Stunning looking scenery of the lake surrounded by mountains, hills, and volcanoes. There are a bunch of different villages and cities around which are full of local life and culture.
52. “Age is No Barrier When It Comes to Travel”
We are an Australian baby boomer travel lifestyle blog helping baby boomers to enjoy their later years. It is time to sit back to plan your travel and see the world by slowing down your travel living like a local and enjoying life. by totraveltoo.com
53. “I’d Rather Live A Live Filled With Challenges, Instead Of A Life Filled With Routine” by Traveltobealive.com
What’s the point of living a life with no challenges? Challenges are our push-forward and it’s from some of those challenges that can born great things.
This picture has been taken while hiking on a glacier in New Zealand. Challenging hike, but one of the best memories I have! – by Jessica Lancia from Travel To Be Alive
54. “My favorite travel moment is PAUSING my every thought..” – by Dotted Globe
Ketki Sharangpani is a travel writer and photographer on a quest to illustrate the world through travelogues & photo essays.
Currently, she is basking in the sun and breathing salty air off the Gulf Coast. Follow her attempt at captioning the world on Dotted Globe.
55. “Traveling is more than seeing something new..”
Charles Kosman writes about travel, tech, family and fun with his wife Micki on their blog, The Barefoot Nomad.
Follow along for fun travel tips, tech help, and inspiration for your family travel all in one helpful, quirky space. Oh, and a lot of talk about ice cream.
56. “To Travel is to Embrace the Unknown” – travellerarchive.com – Short Travel Quote
57. “I’m Not Running From, I’m Running To” – by Luxury Travel Blogger
I’ve always been driven to travel. I’ve been a traveller at the expense of owning things such as a house or car, or of having children …. or even a kitten! And I kill a lot of basil plants. Two of the big passions in my life are writing and exploring. Fortunately being a travel writer has made that possible.
Carol Perehudoff is a luxury travel blogger at WanderingCarol.com. Based in Toronto, she has voted a Top 10 luxury travel blogger in the USA 10Best Readers’ Choice Awards and has written for many publications such as The Toronto Star, The Chicago Tribune and The San Francisco Chronicle.
58. “All of us are travellers passing, through. Some of us just embrace it more easily than others.” by Portugalist.com
James writes the travel blog Portugalist, a travel blog about Portugal and all things Portuguese. He has spent time living all over Portugal: in Lisbon, the Algarve, and in the North of the country. He is almost always daydreaming about where he’ll visit next.
59. “If you don’t have a destination, you can never get lost” – traveltomtom.net
Quote by traveltomtom.net. “As I am traveling around the world now for 5 consecutive years I don’t really care to get lost. Travelers that have limited time may see getting lost as a waste of time, but getting lost for me means exploring.
60. “Adventure Without Risk Is Disneyland”
One of my most favorite photos & quotes ever! Photo taken on the coast in the Netherlands in winter 2012.
… more inspiring travel quotes are coming soon! If you have some inspiration which you would like to share feel free to write it in the comment below the article.