Hawaii’s beautiful scenery, favorable weather, and delightful beaches make it a favorite of tourists. Indeed, more than 9 million people visit the islands annually. Hawaii is one of the safest places to travel year-round. However, tourists must still use good common sense to stay safe.
Suggested: Is Mexico Safe? Travel Advisory 2023
LATEST UPDATES / NEWS from Hawaii:
March 10 – 2 Native Hawaiians get prison for hate crime
A jury found Kaulana Alo-Kaonohi and Levi Aki Jr. guilty, concluding that they were motivated by Christopher Kunzelman’s race when they punched, kicked, and used a shovel to attack him in 2014. He suffered a concussion, two broken ribs, and head damage.
According to local attorneys, this is the first time the United States has prosecuted Native Hawaiians for hate crimes. The unusual case underscores the conflict between Native Hawaiians who are enthusiastic about preserving their culture and people who move to Hawaii without knowing or considering its history and ethnic dynamics.
Avoiding common crimes in Hawaii
Hawaii is generally safe. However, some areas do have high crime rates. Most are petty crimes. Hawaii has a very low incidence of violent crimes. Authorities advise tourists to avoid isolated areas and those near train tracks.
Here are some vital safety tips for tourists who want to avoid becoming petty crime victims in Hawaii.
- Watch their belongings, especially on the beach. Thieves target unattended belongings.
- Avoid walking alone at night.
- Avoid flashing expensive jewelry or technology.
- Avoid scams. Common scams are selling tickets to free attractions, selling fake tours, or fake items.
- Take only enough cash to cover the day’s activities. Leave the rest in the hotel.
- Avoid isolated areas or train tracks where drug addicts typically congregate.
- Avoid becoming intoxicated in bars. Drunken tourists are at a greater risk of becoming victims.
- Remain alert
Which areas of Hawaii have the highest crime rates?
Some areas of Hawaii have higher crime rates. These areas also have exciting tourist sites. Rather than avoiding them, tourists should exercise more caution when visiting them.
Waihawa is an old city in Honolulu County on the island of Oahu. Drug use is high here. Female tourists should be especially cautious and avoid walking alone.
Waianae is a coastal town on Oahu that has a high poverty rate. When visiting Waianae, avoid the beaches and do sightseeing only in the daytime.
Waipahu is also a neighborhood with great poverty on the island of Oahu. Methamphetamines are prevalent in the community, which has a higher-than-average crime rate. Tourists should explore the area in groups and the daytime.
Tourists should avoid Ewa Beach because kidnappings, car break-ins, and drug-related crimes are rampant even in the daytime.
Makaha is on Oahu’s west shore and is a popular tourist spot. However, its crime rate is 34 percent higher than the statewide average.
Which areas of Hawaii are the safest?
Hawaii has several safe areas. These include:
- The island of Maui
- Kalaupapa on the island of Molokaʻi
- Makaweli, also known as Kaumakani, on the island of Kauai
- Schofield Barracks on the island of Oahu
- Hanalei on the island of Kauai
- Kilauea on the island of Hawaii
- Haleiwa on the island of Oahu
- Paauilo on the island of Oahu
- Kapolei in Honolulu on the island of Oahu
Safety tips for a solo female traveler
Hawaii is friendly to solo female travelers who often join tours to explore the islands. However, female travelers should use common sense when traveling on the islands.
Some safety tips are:
- Avoid going to bars alone or hiking alone
- Choose accommodations with good reviews from other female solo travelers
- Rent a car or hire a taxi driver
- Avoid telling strangers too much about their situations
FAQs about traveling in Hawaii
What are the main concerns about traveling to Hawaii?
Hawaii has a low crime rate, except in a few areas on the island of Oahu. Tourists should watch for natural disasters like flash floods, hurricanes, waves, and jellyfish.
Which Hawaiian island is the safest?
Kauai has the lowest violent and property crime rate among the state’s islands.
Is walking around at night safe?
Generally, walking around at night is safe in most neighborhoods and cities. However, as a precaution, tourists should try to walk in groups at night.
Is Hawaii safe?
Yes, Hawaii is a safe destination to visit and travel around in 202e. It has very low crime rates but extra caution is recommended in some of the areas.