Transportation Minister Advocates For LRT Train As Key To Solving Bali’s Traffic Issues

Transportation Minister Advocates For LRT Tran As Key To Solving Bali's Traffic Issues

The Minister of Transportation for Indonesia, Budi Karya Sumadi, has unveiled detailed plans for Bali’s Light Rail Transit (LRT) system.

The Bali LRT, which has been proposed for a number of years, is desperately needed, according to Budi Karya, to alleviate Bali’s traffic congestion.

“Bali is an international tourism showcase, and there is indeed chronic traffic congestion that could backfire if we don’t address it,” Budi Karya said in a statement on Sunday.

With a 51 percent stake in the project, the Balinese Provincial Government is leading the way, with the central government contributing the remaining 49 percent. 

Phase 1 of the Bali LRT, which will span 5.3 kilometers and connect I Gusti Ngurah Rai Airport to Seminyak via Central Parkir Kuta, is presently being prioritized by the Bali provincial government.

It is anticipated that Phase 1 of the construction will start in 2024 and take three years to finish. After Phase 1, Phase 2 will see the line extended from Seminyak to Mengwitani.

Bali aims for a comprehensive public transportation system as a long-term objective, incorporating the LRT project. This initiative seeks to reduce Bali’s dependence on private cars and motorcycles, addressing the issues of traffic congestion, air pollution, and accidents on the island.